Happy Mother's Day on May 13th! Get ready for a warmhearted road movie that easily shifts gears between drama and comedy as two brothers drive across the gorgeous Italian countryside.
Brothers Mirko (Leo) and Genziano (Bonini) haven't spoken or seen each other since their mother died in a car accident when they were teenagers. Soon after, Genziano moved to London and became a successful stockbroker while the stuttering, insecure Mirko stayed to work as a mechanic in the family-run garage.
Eighteen years later, Genziano returns to Rome, for 24 hours, for their father's funeral only to discover that the man's dying wish was to have his ashes laid by his wife's grave, in Calabria. Which means his sons must make the trip to southern Italy in the antique Morgan in which their mother died, which he painstakingly and secretly rebuilt over time.
Along the way this charming film provides plenty of adventures, laughs and insights about family relations and settling old scores. The brothers have to cope with a broken down car, strange motels and hitchhiking, as well as years of suppressed anger, jealousy and resentment. Will they make it to Calabria in one piece? And can they bury the past?
Cineforum Italiano sponsored by Passatempo, LLC.
Director: Edoardo Leo
Duration: 100 min.
In Italian with English subtitles.
Plan for the event:
- May 13, 2012 at Letelier Theater in Georgetown. 3251 Prospect Street, NW, Washington, DC UPPER COURTARD.
- 4:00 pm: Sign in, enjoy complimentary beverages and snacks during the film.
- 4:15 pm: Program begins with introductions and film
- 6:15 pm: The film will be followed by small reception which provides an opportunity to socialize and discuss the film.
- $10 online with your RSVP. Click here.
- $15 at the door (cash only, no credit/debit card processing)
Getting to Letelier Theater: Street parking is free on Sundays. There's also a parking garage available directly next to the theater on Prospect Street for $4/hr. There are several public transportation options. The theater website describes the options in detail: http://leteliertheater.com/directions/