Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Neopolitan Pizza Arrives in Bethesda at Pizzeria Da Marco!

Last night, Pizzeria da Marco - An Authentic Neopolitan Pizzeria in Bethesda, opened their doors and packed in a full house with their offer for a free pizza to ALL diners.

The wait time was originally estimated at an hour and a half. However, my party was seated after about 20 minutes, due to the large amount of people that decided not to wait.

Pizzeria da Marco has an extensive and inexpensive wine list. My original inclination was to go with a red, Cassata Monticello (2009). After hearing that they were out, I went with prosecco, my usual first choice anyway. Their prosecco by the glass, Tonan Baby Prosecco (Veneto) at only $8 a glass,was pleasing with just the right amount of dryness.

Our server was very courteous and attentive. I appreciated the fact that he let my table know approximately how long the pizza would take, and he was apologetic when later notifying us of the delay.

We ordered the Romana (Tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella, parmigiano and anchovies, basil) and the Salame (Tomato Sauce, Basil, Fresh Mozzarella amd Sopressata), 2 of the specialy pizzas. The menu contains 6 Pizze classiche and 8 specialties,none costing more than $13 dollars.

The pizza was definitely worth the wait, we thoroughly enjoyed the crust that struck the delicate balance between chewy and crispy. Moreover, the organic mozzarella covered just enough of the surface, leaving room
for the taste of the tomato sauce to shine through. Although, I would have liked the dough in the center of the pizza to be have been a little more crisp.

I have to say that I was surprised that Pizzeria Da Marco was giving one pizza to each diner, as I originally assumed it was one pizza per table. I was not sure whether the generous offer for a whole pie was due soley to the grand opening, or because the pizzas are meant to be individual servings.

While you could eat a whole pizza yourself in one sitting (as I did), beware that doing so requires eating several portions. As much as I have an aversion to over-eating, I also hate to see food, especially good food,
go to waste. So when I was told that we could not take leftovers, I convinced myself to finish the last 2 pieces.

Overall, our dining experience was pleasant, and I chalk-up my few gripes to the intensity of the opening night. I definitely plan to dine there again and encourage you to visit Pizzeria Da Marco for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment