Sunday, November 20, 2011

Farewell to Ambassador Giulio Terzi di Sant'Agata

Giulio Terzi Sant'Agata, Italy's ambassador to Washington from 2009 - 2011, has recently been appointed as the Minister of Foreign Affairs under Mario Monti's new Italian government.  Under his leadership, the Italian AP exam was re-instituted, and all around the country, Americans and Italians spent this year commemorating the 150th anniversary of the unification of Italy.  Watch this short highlight video by i-italy saluting the ambassador's work in the U.S, and read the ambassador's goodbye letter to Italian American community below:


Fellow Italians

I bid you and the United States farewell as I continue, as Minister of Foreign Affairs, my service for the Government and go represent my country with the pride I have often seen in the facial expressions and I have often heard in the words of all the Italians in America.

At this time I warmly salute you all: the Italian-American community, the elected representatives in the United States, the associations that have sustained the activities of the Embassy in Washington and its consular net with great diligence, and all the friends of Italy.

I tackle this new appointment with gratitude for the trust the President of Italy and the Prime Minister have in me, knowing that, by acting as a Minister of the Republic, I will always be able to count on the extraordinary heritage of friendship, historical, cultural, economic and human ties between Italy and the United States. Those ties that the Italian-American community represents at its best.

We have accomplished a lot together. I cherish two specific memories: the celebrations held in the past months for the 150th anniversary of the Unification of Italy, sealed by President's Obama proclamation on March 17th, and most of all by President Napolitano's visit to celebrate with you "Italy's birthday"; and the return of the Advanced Placement program and of courses of Italian in American classes. A heritage, I am certain, the Italian-American community will continue to help grow, supporting, as always, all the activities started in the last months. Goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment